Collagen is the most abundant protein in mammals and serves as the major component in the body’s connective tissues.
Whether it’s tendons, ligaments, skin, and muscles, collagen is there to make sure it all works smoothly.
However, as we age, our collagen production decreases which is why hydrolyzed collagen supplements are important.
Here are some health benefits associated with collagen:
When your body produces less collagen, your skin starts to get dry and form wrinkles.
Some of the collagen benefits that make your skin healthier include:
- Increased elasticity and hydration
- Reduced wrinkles and dryness
- Promoting production of elastin and fibrillin
- May help prevent acne
Joint Pain Relief
Joints are protected by a rubber-like tissue called cartilage.
Since collagen helps maintain cartilage, people risk developing joint pain and osteoarthritis as they age since collagen production decreases.
By taking collagen supplements, you can experience benefits like:
- Reduced overall joint pain
- Improved symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Improved engagement in physical activity
- Stimulate tissues to produce collagen
- Lower inflammation
- Better support of your joints
Bone Loss Prevention
Loss of collagen may also lead to loss of bone mass, as bones are mostly made of collagen.
This loss may lead to a higher risk of bone fractures and osteoporosis.
These are some benefits your bones can experience through collagen supplements:
- Lower blood levels of proteins that promote bone breakdown
- Increase in bone mineral density
- Inhibit bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis
Boost Muscle Mass
Some benefits collagen has on muscle mass include:
- Boost muscle mass in people with sarcopenia
- Increased muscle mass and strength
- May stimulate muscle growth after exercise
- May promote the synthesis of creatine and other muscle proteins
Improved Heart Health
In addition to providing structure to your ligaments, collagen supports your arteries and makes them strong.
Without enough collagen, you may experience:
- Atherosclerosis (narrowing arteries)
- Heart attack
Some benefits collagen has on your heart health include:
- Reduced artery stiffness
- Increased levels of good cholesterol
There are very few known risks when it comes to taking collagen and several health benefits.
While some food contains collagen, it’s unclear whether they have the same benefits as supplements.
Taking collagen supplements is easy, safe, and worth their benefits.